Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tutorial Thursday... Splodgy Backgrounds

Hello La-La Fans :)

It's Faye here today, and I thought I'd show you how I create the Splodgy Backgrounds I do sometimes. I'm using Graph'It Markers; you need a Marker with a harder nib to get this effect, Pros or Spectrum Noir, will give the same result. You can do this with Copic or Flex, it just gives more of a watercolour effect.

Let's start with your image, I'm using Lion Luka, I've grounded him and roughly added my first layer of colour. It doesn't matter that it's not blended:

Once your first layer is completely dry, it's all about dots. Add loads and loads of dots, you may think there is a woodpecker in the room with you, but you need to cover the first rough, base layer. You can keep adding dots until you get texture you are happy with. I went around the whole image three times, letting each layer of dots dry, before adding the next:

The last step uses a Blender Pen, you know, the Alcohol only one. You go over the entire background, adding dots of Blender, wherever you want until you are happy with the result:

And then you colour up the rest of your image:

Job done!

Markers Used...
Graph'It: 4110, 3210, 6110, 7105, 0000
Copic: E31, E33, E50, E51, E53, E55, E40, E43, E44, E47, E15, E18

Thanks for stopping by today, don't forget to join us tomorrow to see the gorgeous creations from Team Friday.
Faye x

5 comments:

  1. This is just wonderful. Thanks so much. I will try this as soon as I have more than 5 Copics. It is now on my agenda to add a bunch every month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to try this one, am so addicted to my lovely copics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as simple as that, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete